Smith Street, Avenue Farm and Rogues Lane

Last updated: 01/02/2017

Smith Street runs from the western end of Boxworth Road at the junction with Brook Street and Paddock Row to the western edge of the village where it joins Rogues Lane which continues to the B1040. Smith Street is also referred to as Smith Lane in some cases, and the section from the Broad End Junction to Rogues Lane was at one time known as Stockers Lane.  Avenue Farm lies just off Smith Street down a cul-de-sac and is included in the Smith Street section.  There is the farmhouse itself and the farmyard buildings which have now been converted into a business park.  At the crest of the hill outside the village there used to be a stock mill which fell into disuse in the 1920s and was demolished in the 1940s.



Avenue Farm from Smith Street

View of Avenue Farm possibly in the 1920s.  The farmhouse is visible at the end of the road and is much the same today.  The buildings on the right were the warehouse and other farm buildings.

Avenue Farm

This is a similar picture of Avenue Farm but the view is slightly to the right of the previous picture.  Whether it is a different picture or a different print from the same negative or plate is unknown.

View eastwards along Smith Street showing the Fox and Hounds

View eastwards along Smith Street showing the Fox and Hounds pub at the junction with Brockley Road taken in the 1940s.Some of the buildings seen along Brockley Road have since been demolished.

Winter view of Smith Street around 1908

A winter view westwards along Smith Street from the junction with Broad End around 1908.  Someone can be seen attending to the streetlamp on the corner of Broad End.  The cottage on the right is still there today but the brick house on the left has vanished.

View west from the end of Boxworth Road

View west along Smith Street from the end of Boxworth Road showing the original bridge over the brook and the side of the manor.  The council houses along Smith Street had not been built at the time this picture was taken around 1905.

Elsworth manor from sports field early 1900s

Elsworth manor seen from the sports field in the early 1900s.  Some farm buildings in the background may be Dear's Farm.

View across the village from Smith Street early 1900s

A view across the village towards the church from Smith Street.  The paddock between Cotterell's Lane and Smith Street is in the foreground, the west wing of the rectory can be seen. 

Fox and Hounds pub taken from Smith Street

The Fox and Hounds pub on the corner of Smith Street and Brockley Road in the early 20th century.  The upper floor window has been replaced by two larger windows by the 1970s.

Smith Street looking west early 1900s

Smith Street looking west towards Rogues Lane in the early 20th century.  This section may have also been known as Stocker's Lane.

View from Rogues Lane

View down Smith Street towards the village from the corner where Smith Street meets Rogues Lane early 1900s.  The caption reads "Lovers Walk Elsworth".

View west from Brockley Road Junction

View looking west along Smith Street from the junction with Brockley Road around 1912.  The big tree on the right was cut down some decades later but the stump still remains.

Mr Thomas Cooper at Caxton Gibbet around 1900

The Caxton Gibbet inn around 1900 with Mr Thomas Cooper the innkeeper.  The Caxton Gibbet inn was burned down in early 21st century and has been replaced with fast food outlets.

Elsworth Manor around 1910

Elsworth Manor from Smith Street around 1910.

Elsworth Manor in the late thirties

Elsworth Manor in a dilapidated state, possibly around 1938 seen from Smith Street.

Village postman in Rogues Lane

The village postman with bicycle in Rogues Lane near the bend leading to Smith Street.  This picture probably dates from the early 20th century.

View from Rogues Lane showing farmhouse

View from Rogues Lane looking towards Avenue Farm showing a farmhouse that was later demolished  to build the farm buildings.

Stock mill, probably one that stood in Rogues Lane

Old stock mill that stood at the top of the hill in Rogues Lane.  It was in use up to the 1920s.   This picture shows it in working condition.

Disused stock mill in Rogues Lane

The stock mill in Rogues Lane disused and the sails removed.  The mill was demolished in 1948.

Stock mill in Rogues Lane, probably in 1930s

View of the far side of the stock mill showing the meadow it stood in and the tail.

Papworth family by the mill

Daisy, Ann and Leslie Papworth by the stock mill in Rogues Lane.

daisy, Ann and Dora Papworth

Daisy, Ann and Dora Papworth looking out of a window in the old mill.

Daisy climbing out of the windmill

Daisy Papworth climbing out of the windmill, Ann is already outside.

View of bridge from Smith Street

View looking east from the Brook Street end of Smith Street showing the old bridge and the butcher's shop on the left.  Chestnut Villa is behind the trees.  This picture is early 1900s.

Back of the manor

Back of Elsworth Manor probably in the 1940s or 1950s.  The council houses in Smith Street have been built and the manor is no longer derelict.

Elsworth Manor in a dilapidated state

View of the back of Elsworth Manor stowing signs of disrepair.  Some of the buildings attached to the manor seem to have been demolished later (previous picture).

Cricket ground early 20th century

A cricket match on the sports field, before 1926 as a copy exists with a 1926 postmark.  Ivy Fold can be seen in the background together with another cottage opposite Ivy Fold that no longer exists.

View across the land at the back of the manor 1900s

View across the open land behind the manor, probably around 1910 with some children.  Lordship cottages are visible in the background and some barns attached to the manor.

View along Smith Street looking west

View westwards along Smith Street from Avenue Farm.  The Fox and Hounds is visible in the distance.  This view is labelled "High St Elsworth" rather than Smith Street.  The time is probably around 1910.

View from Smith Street across the sports field

View across the sports field from the juction of Brockley Road and Smith Street around 1910.  The edge of the Fox and Hounds roof is visible, with an old oil lamp and Ivy Fold in the distance.

View from Smith Street across to Brook Street

View across the paddock between Smith Street and Cotterell's Lane showing houses in Cotterell's Lane and Brook Street.  A cottage beside Long Gable is visible; this was bombed in the 1940s.

View of the manor from the sports field

View of the manor from the sports field with Dear's Farm in the background.  This probably dates from the 1940s as the council houses in Smith Street are visible beyond the manor.

Cricket match looking towards the manor

A cricket match is progress with the manor in the background, possibly in the 1920s.

The old sports pavilion and sports ground in 1958

The old sports pavilion which has since been replaced.  This picture was taken before 1958.  The pavilion was built in 1950.

Rogues Lane end of Smith Street looking west

View of the Rogues Lane end of Smith Street (possibly also known as Stockers Lane) in summer in the early 1900s.

Drawing of the Manor around 1930

Drawing of Elsworth Manor around 1930.

Fire engines outside the Fox & Hounds 1958/1959

Fire engines on Smith Street outside the Fox and Hounds during the winter of 1958/1959.
The Fox and Hounds had an elaborate sign at that time.

One fire engine in Smith Street

A single fire engine in Smith Street outside the pub in the winter of 1958/1959 with onlookers begining to arrive.

Fire engine outside Fox & Hounds 1958-1959

Fire engine in Smith Street outside the Fox & Hounds in the winter of 1958/1959.

View of the manor across the paddock adjoing Smith Street

View of the manor across the small paddock between Smith Street and Cotterells Lane in 1958/1959.  This land was built on in the 1960s.

Smith Street in snow winter 1961/1962

The bus shelter and the manor in the heavy snow of the winter of 1961/1962.

New culverts being laid 1968-1969

New culverts being laid under Smith Street by the Brook Street junction in 1968-1969.

Elsworth manor 1979-1981

Elsworth manor front and east side from Smith Street in winter 1979-1981.

Elsworth manor front from the west

Elsworth manor front from the west from Smith Street during winter 1979-1981.

Elsworth manor from the sports field 1979-1981

Elsworth manor seen from the sports field in winter 1979-1981.  The original play equipment can be seen on the grass close.

Fox and Hounds 1979-1981

Fox and Hounds pub (now The Poacher) seen from Smith Street 1979-1981.

Smith Street looking west 1979-1981

View along Smith Street west towards Rogues Lane from Brockley Road in winter 1979-1981.

Elsworth manor being restored 1981

Elsworth manor during restoration work in 1981, front and west view from Smith Street.

Front of Elsworth manor during restoration work

Side of Elsworth manor from Smith Street during restoration work in 1981.

Back of Elsworth manor during restoration work

Back of Elsworth manor being restored in 1981.

Elsworth manor at the end of restoration work

Thr front of Elsworth manor from Smith Street when the restoration work was almost complete in 1981.

View across Smith Street 1983

View across Smith Street towards the church in spring 1983.

Smith Street in winter 1980s

The junction of Smith Street and Broad End looking west in winter during the 1980s.

The Poacher in January 1986

The Poacher seen from the field opposite in January of 1986.

Jubilee Day 1977

Preparations for Jubilee Day on the sports field in 1977.

Jubilee Day 1977

Maypole dancing on the sports field jubilee Day 1977.

Opening of the Bus Shelter 1959

Opening of the Elsworth bus shelter in 1959 to commerorate 40 years of service to the village as parish clerk by J W Throssell and Frank Davison's 80th birthday.
Left to right: Hilary Banks, Mrs Throssell, Mr J W Throssell, Betty Evans, Harold Allgood, Robert Evans.

Presentation to J W Throssell

Presentation to J W Throssell for 40 years service as parish clerk by Robert Evans in 1959.

Play equipment beside the manor

The original play equipment on the grass close beside the manor in the 1970s.

Party on grass close for Price of Wales wedding 1981

A tea party on the grass close to celebrate the Prince of Wales wedding in July 1981.

The Manor from the west

Elsworth Manor seen from the sports field showing the rear and west views in the 1990s.

West side of Elsworth Manor

The west side of Elsworth Manor seen from the sports field in the 1990s.

Front of Elsworth Manor 1990s

The front of Elsworth Manor from Boxworth Road in the 1990s.

Council houses on Smith Street

Council houses on Smith Street in the 1990s.  They are lergely unchanged today.

Old telephone box in Smith Street

The old village telephone box in Smith Street by the Poacher in the 1990s.  The telephone box was later removed after an attempt to rob it and replaced by a telephone by the junction of Smith Street and Paddock Row.

Turners Cottage

Turner's Cottage in Smith Street in the 1990s.  This was once a thatched cottage but has since been largely rebuilt.  A picture of the original cottage in the early 20th century can be accessed at the top of this page.

Avenue Farm

View of Avenue Farm buildings with the farmhouse at the end of the road in the 1990s.  The farmyard is now a business park.

Cottage on corner of Smith Street and Avenue Farm

A cottage on Smith Street in the 1990s with a distinctive gable end.  A newer extension can be seen on the left of the cottage.

Rogues Lane in deep snow

This picture is probably of part of Rogues Lane in the winter of 1963.  The barn roof on the left may be the barns that stood on the high ground between the two steep hills and on the right is one of the houses at Hillcrest.  This is looking towards Elsworth.

Rogues Lane in deep snow

This picture is probably another of Rogues Lane in the winter of 1963, possibly close to Hillcrest.


Back to main page

© Elsworth Chronicle 2016